Tuesday, June 5, 2012

John 3:30

Today was the second day of our children's program and it went better than it did yesterday! The kids were so much more receptive to what we had to say and wanted to join in with the songs and games we had for them.  I really prayed last night and this morning that God would prepare the hearts of the people I would talk to today and that he would specifically put the person or people in my path I needed to talk to.  After the bible lesson and songs I went and sat with some girls who were about ten or eleven.  They had their school uniforms on so I was asking them about why they were not at school.  It is extremely common here for kids to get sent home from school for not paying their school fees and/or not bringing the supplies that they are required to have.  This was the case for these girls I was talking to.  They did not seem too upset about not being at school and told me that they were having more fun with us anyways and they did not really want to be at school in the first place. After getting to know them a little bit one of the girls got up so I ended up focusing my attention on a girl named Wilfred.  Wilfred asked me if I had any sisters on the trip and when I told her I did not she sweetly asked me if she could be my sister and of course I told her I would absolutely love for her to be my sister! This led into a discussion about her being my sister in Christ. She told me that she not only wanted us to be sisters but to be best friends as well! Saturday is the day Wilfred washes her clothes and I asked her if I could come help her wash her clothes in the creek.  She looked at me and laughed.  She was so happy that me, a mzungu, wanted to come help her wash her clothes. God definitely specifically orchestrated Wilfred and I to meet and talk today.  When we pray and expect God to do great things, he does far beyond what we can ever imagine!
After the children's program we came back and took a break for lunch.  Jamie planned for us to go into town to visit Baby Watoto which is a place for babies who are abandoned or orphaned due to poverty or many other different situations to come and receive care and a place to live until they are old enough to move up to the children's village or go and live with relatives.  Baby Watoto is for children from the age of 0 to 2 years old.  We were able to go in and hold the babies, feed them, change their diapers, and just play with them.  They house so many babies that they welcome the help, and we were happy to be there!  We went around to see the different age groups of children there.  They told us that they do not have special needs children at the Gulu location.  They are sent off to a different location to be treated there.  However they did have one boy with special needs that for whatever reason was at the Gulu location.  They told us that he was almost blind.  Our group went outside where all of the kids were to play with them and I saw the boy with special needs walking inside so I followed him inside to see him.  There was one lady that was with him to watch him but no one else was really around.  She told me his name was Kevin.  Kevin was 7 years old and so so sweet.  He appeared to be autistic and had other physical disabilities as well.  The woman who was with him told me that no visitors really ever come to see him and that she was so happy for him to have a friend.  I told her about my major and what occupational therapy was and explained to her that I wanted to work with kids with disabilities so that is why I wanted to come see Kevin.  I guess she trusted me because she left Kevin with me the rest of the time we were there.  He was so full of love and I had such a fun time being with him!  God makes no mistakes and made Kevin the way he is for a reason! God is glorified through every situation and Kevin is his child!  We must remember that God is always in complete control!



No comments:

Post a Comment